Thursday, March 27, 2008

Egg Salad Open "Face" Sandwiches

This is my son's favorite dinner, so with all those leftover hard boiled eggs..... it is no wonder that we had egg salad sandwiches! I first saw this idea in Martha Stewart's Kids magazine, but ended up making my own version of egg salad and just using her idea as a template for the faces.
The makings for the faces- sliced olives, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, sliced baby dill pickles, sliced egg "eyes", peas, carrot coins, shredded lettuce and whatever else you want.
Some people in my family like their bread toasted, others do not
Then put on the eyes, shown here without yolks
Eyes with yolks

My 6-year old's creation

My 3- year old's face
A few additions, tuna and red onion, give this version a little more kick
My sandwich, minus the face, on toasted whole wheat bread with tomato

and lettuce

I like for any kind of sandwich salad (egg, tuna, chicken, etc) to have a little crunch and alot of flavor. That is how I came up with this recipe. You could also add whatever fresh herbs you have on hand to flavor this.


Mary Ann's Egg Salad

5 Hard Boiled Eggs* ( a few more if you want to make egg "eye" slices)

1/4-1/2 cup fat free mayo (depending on how moist you like it)

2 tsp yellow mustard

1/2 cup dill pickle relish

1/2 cup finely chopped celery

1 Tbls dried onion flakes

1 Tbls dried parsley flakes

salt and pepper, to taste


1. Mash eggs in a medium bowl with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine.


To make variation- add 1 6-oz can tuna, drained and 2 Tbls finely minced red onion


To make "Faces"- Spread egg salad on toasted or untoasted bread. Add egg slice "eyes" Use other cut up vegetables to make the rest of the face. Top with another slice of bread or eat open-"faced".


*Hard Boiled Eggs- from Martha Stewart.com
Put eggs in a single layer on the bottom of a medium saucepan. Fill with cool water at least 1-inch above the eggs. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as water boils, turn off heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Run eggs under cold water until completely cooled and peel.

2 comments:

Audrey and the Boys said...

Those look so fun! I can't wait to try them. I've never done egg salad before, but with the added facial toppings, I'm sure I can't go wrong!

Mandy said...

-you don't know me, but my husband, josh, knows your husband and all the murray boys (they grew up together)and I found you from tiffany's site.
anyway great recipes, and can't wait to share this one in particular with the kids.