Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies and Nutella Cookies with Nutella Buttercream


I recently reconnected with a friend from high school. We both live in the same area, have kids the same ages, and love to bake. It was like we had never been apart. She invited us over for a playdate and we thought it would be fun to bake a little something. I had been wanting to try these Pumpkin Whoopie Pies since I saw them last year in Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine. We decided it was the perfect time of year and whipped them up. Our 2-year olds were helping dump in ingredients and the end result was quite popular! It was really fun, to talk and bake, in the kitchen with a friend.
I also had some leftover Nutella Buttercream
from some Nutella cupcakes and it needed to be used, so I whipped up these super simple Nutella cookies and filled them with the leftover frosting. Super yummy cookies, if you need a sweet treat!


Pumpkin Whoopie Pies From Every Day with Rachael RayOctober 2007
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, 1 stick melted, 1/2 stick softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon plus 2 pinches salt
1 2/3 cups flour
4 ounces cream cheese, chilled
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, the baking powder, the baking soda and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour.
3. Using an ice cream scoop or tablespoon, drop 12 generous mounds of batter, spaced evenly, onto each baking sheet. Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with the cream cheese. Add the confectioners' sugar and the remaining 2 pinches salt and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; mix on low speed until blended, then beat on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
5. Spread the flat side of 12 cakes with the cream cheese frosting. Top each with another cake.

Double Nutella Cookies
1 cup Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
1 extra-large egg
1 cup self-rising cake flour, plus additional for dusting (see note below)
1.Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Mix 1/2 cup Nutella and the egg with an electric mixer until well combined. Slowly add 1 cup of flour until a wet dough is formed. Transfer the dough to a flour-dusted board.
3. Knead gently, adding a bit more flour if necessary; dough will be sticky. Roll dough into 18 balls, flouring your hands as needed to make rolling easier. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet, several inches apart.
4. Bake 12 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Split cookies in half horizontally using a sharp, serrated knife . Spread bottom with 1 teaspoon Nutella, replace top and press firmly. Let cool completely. Store in a tightly covered tin.
note- I didn't have self-rising cake flour, so I mixed 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt with regular cake flour before adding it.


Coming Tomorrow- TWD-Thanksgiving Twofer Pie

9 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

I'd like one order of the macaroni and four cheese, two or three or the pumpkin whoppie pies and one order of nutella cookies please.

Yes, I'd eat all that.

If I lived near you and snuck bits of your yummy food, I'd be as big as a house!

Kirsten said...

Yum, those book look great! I could go for one right now...probably the pumpkin, but it's really a close call. Happy Thanksgiving.

Cathy said...

These look so delicious, and I love anything called "whoopie pie." How can anyone take themselves too seriously if they are eating a whoopie pie? And the Nutella cookies look divine! Boy, I sure wished I lived closer to your kitchen! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Mary Ann!

Anonymous said...

You had me at Nutella. YUM!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

How fun. These look like great treats.

Steph said...

I've never made real whoppie pies before, that is unless you count the whoppie pies that weren't origianlly supposed to be whoppie pies. If I made the pie for TWD, I'd probably skip the crust too.. Dorie loves her butter!

Pamela said...

Everything looks fabulous. And it sounds like everyone had a great time! Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

Oh sweet mercy! I will for sure be making those pumpkin whoopies! I have so many recipes to post and not enough time! You are too nice for answering all my questions and everything! By the way that picture was 3 days after getting my wisdom teeth out. About 10 years after I should have!!!. I'll get a new one up soon.

Jaime said...

yum! those pies and cookies look delicious!