Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ginger Ice Cream

When my family was here visiting a couple of weeks ago, my youngest brother turned 18. I was really excited about his big day because that meant I could make cake and ice cream!
I decided to use a couple of my brother's favorite flavors. He loves lots of things and ginger is one of them. My mom used fresh ginger root a lot in dishes growing up, so my whole family is quite familiar with its zing.

I found some crystallized ginger at EarthFare in the bulk section, which was much more affordable than the small bottles of it I have bought at other grocery stores before. Don't you love it when that happens? I know I do.

I had already bookmarked this particular recipe a few months ago, so I was excited to finally have an occasion to make it for.

The ice cream turned out perfectly- smooth and delicious, with that spicy bite that fresh ginger adds. The pieces of crystallized ginger added the perfect little something.
We all really liked this ice cream and later in the week we discovered that it tastes really good sandwiched between graham crackers. (I figured it was ok to buy them if we had company because then I wouldn't eat them all myself.)


Recipe for Ginger Ice Cream
*Note- I use my Microplane Grater/Zester to grate fresh or frozen ginger root. It makes the job much easier

4 comments:

Meghan said...

I love ginger - never had it in ice cram before! Sounds delicious :)

Teauna said...

Hey! I love your blog! Go to my blog! I have an award for you there...

http://fromcupboardtocupboard.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-first-award.html

:-)

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Mmmmmm. Eggs and cream and half and half equal happiness! Your pics are beautiful too!

http://meatandpotatoesfoodie.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

Mmm...This looks yummy and perfect for spring!