Monday, April 5, 2010

Spinach, Cucumber, and Chickpea Salad

I am always looking for ways to make green salad more exciting. Adding different vegetables and legumes is one way of doing this.
I saw this recipe in a cookbook and loved the idea of a light dressing with lemon juice and cumin.
These flavors meld really well together.

The option was given to add olive oil to the dressing, but I left it out, just to keep it a little bit lighter, and it was really good without it. Tart and lovely.

One of my favorite things about spring and summer is that I crave salad all the time.
This is one that I will be adding to the regulars.
Healthy and delicious!

Spinach, Cucumber, and Chickpea Salad by Kathleen Daelemans
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp ground cumin
coarse salt
2 Tbls olive oil (optional) I left this out
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
Half a 10-oz bag salad greens (the healthiest kind you can stand)
Half a 10-oz bag prewashed baby spinach
*I added sliced mushrooms, matchstick carrots and arugula

In the bowl you'll serve the salad in, whisk together the lemon juice, cumin, salt, and olive oil. Add tomatoes, cuke, scallions, chickpeas, parsley and mint. Toss to combine. Add salad greens and spinach. Toss, taste, adjust seasonings, and serve.

* If you want to up the good calories, shredded carrots and diced mango are really delicious in this salad.
You could also top it with thinly sliced grilled flank steak or chicken. Or serve it over bulgur.


4 comments:

Prudy said...

That's one of my favorite things-spinach with chickpeas, lemon juice and whatever else I can find in the fridge. I just read in Cooking Light-I think it was- that if you don't add a little fat to your salads that you can't absorb all the nutrients from your veggies. I've been eating it with just plain lemon like you did, but I guess I'll add a little OO from now on. Looks fantastic! I hope you had a great Easter with your family.

Unknown said...

Love spinach! Those cupcakes look fab too! I am a huge fan of berries so that sucked me right in!

Aggie said...

Yum! I need a salad like this. I love how healthy and colorful it is!

Chef Aimee said...

I could eat anything that had chickpeas in it - they are so addictive! Thanks for sharing this recipe!