Friday, April 23, 2010

Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Whipped Cream

Sometimes I feel like there are way too many treats on my blog! But, I love to bake, so whenever I get the opportunity to make something for a dinner or event- I bake away. Just know that my family is not eating all of the sweet things featured here. We are sharing with the world!

So, with that being said- recently we had an event at church and I was in charge of the dessert.
Strawberries were just coming into season and I decided to give Martha Stewart's strawberry cupcakes a whirl.
Since it was going to be only women at this event, I decided to make mini cupcakes. That way, everyone could try one and not feel the least bit guilty about it.

This recipe makes a ton of batter. I got 70 mini cupcakes and made a dozen normal size cupcakes to give away. So, be warned!
(I didn't get a picture of the minis- those are regular cupcakes up there)

I frosted them with whipped cream that I flavored with pureed strawberries and it went perfectly with this delicate, delicious cupcake.

Many of the women at this event told me that these were the best cupcakes they had ever eaten. That has to mean something.

I saved one of the normal-sized cupcakes for my family that was coming into town the next night and they said the same thing.


Strawberry Cupcakes
adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes

makes 40-44 cupcakes

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour (not self rising)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large whole eggs, plus 1 egg white
1 cup milk
2 cups finely chopped strawberries, plus more for garnish


Preheat the oven to 350F. Line standard muffin tins with paper lines.

Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Put butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer. Cream on medium-high until pale and fluffy. Add the whole eggs and egg white, one at a time, beating until each is fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Change the speed to low, add the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the milk. Beat until well combined. Fold in the chopped strawberries by hand.

Fill each paper liner with batter 3/4 full. Bake, rotating the pans half way through, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20 - 30 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool for 15 minutes, then turn cupcakes out onto rack to let cool completely.

Strawberry Whipped Cream by Mary Ann
For the whipped cream, I used 2 cups of cream.
I coarsely chopped strawberries, about 1 1/2 cups and then pureed them in the food processor.
Whipped the cream to soft peaks, then added vanilla, powdered sugar (to taste) and whipped the cream to stiff peaks. I folded the strawberry puree in at the end.



9 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Those look and sound delicious Mary Ann! I wonder if a person could halve the recipe successfully. That's a lotta cupcakes!!

Christina said...

These look so good! So happy it's finally Strawberry season too! Gonna have to plan to make these when I'm going to a BIG party - love that they make 70+ :)

bjandcec said...

MaryAnn, You are amazing! Sometimes I can't believe you are my daughter. If you lived closer, we would all be about 10 more pounds overweight from eating your yummy treats. Love you! Mom

Nicole Bergman said...

These look PHENOMENAL! My mouth is watering.

Audrey and the Boys said...

Mare- These were absolutely amazing!!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

great cupcakes....boy could i go for a couple right about now....sigh

Delicious Dishings said...

I feel like we swapped! I usually make baked goods all the time and barely have anything healthy on my blog, but I just posted a strawberry salad. I have some strawberries leftover, but oddly no milk or eggs left in the house. I think I'll end up making these soon though because I've been eying them in Martha's cupcake book for a while. I can't believe the recipe makes so many! Your whipped cream with the strawberry puree sounds heavenly!

Maria said...

Love the double strawberry cupcake!

Unknown said...

My mom would love these! She's a huge fan of strawberry cupcakes and I don't make them nearly enough. Will have to give this recipe a go, as soon as I figure out how to control myself around whipped cream :)