Tuesday, April 20, 2010

TWD- Sweet Cream Biscuits

This week's TWD recipe was chosen by Melissa of Love At First Bite. She chose Sweet Cream Biscuits. You can find the recipe on her blog.

The recipes for April just happened to be posted the day before St. Patrick's Day and I was already planning on making some version of green eggs & ham for my kids with biscuits.
I decided to use Dorie's biscuits as the base for our Green Egg and Ham Biscuits that we had for dinner.
Sorry if the green eggs disgust you, but my kids love it. I just use a little bit of food gel coloring to get our eggs nice and green. Usually I add chopped ham to our eggs and scramble them, but this time I decided to bake the eggs in muffin tins, then add slices of ham and cheese to the sandwiches.

I didn't have a lot of luck with these biscuits. They turned out fine, but I would've liked it if they would have had more height. I didn't add enough cream at the beginning and it was too late to make the dough the right consistency by the time I realized it. They were still soft and yummy, just short.

I have had more success with Cooking Light biscuits than any full fat biscuits I have tried baking for some reason.

That being said, my son LOVED these biscuits. He ate almost all of them by himself. He loved them completely plain and also made into a green sandwich. So that makes them a success, I guess!

Check out the TWD Bakers to see what everyone else thought about these biscuits!

19 comments:

Leslie said...

What fun this must be for your kids! I always think how food tastes is more important than how it looks so if these were yummy, they're a winner in my book. Thanks for the links to the frittata and the curried lentils...bookmarked for dinner this week. And I'll have to try the Cooking Light biscuits, too.

Bella Baker said...

ha - so cute!!! That sandwich looks delicious and I'm so glad you;re son loved em so much!!

Kayte said...

OMW I wasn't expecting that green! Your kids must think you are the most fun Mom alive with all the little things you do. Your biscuits looks great, and maybe it was good that they weren't so terribly high as how would you get that whole thing in your mouth for a bite???

Anonymous said...

What a cute idea! I remember my kindergarten teacher making us green eggs & ham one morning.

Katrina said...

Wow, that IS green, but so fun. My boys would have loved that, too.
GREAT biscuits. I also made them in to scones, which are great for any kind of mix-ins.

Jeannette said...

wow! look at those green eggs!! super fun!!

Tia said...

adorable!!!

Susan said...

What a great Mom you are, making green eggs and ham for your kids. I will have to look up the Cooking Light biscuits. Yours (even with the green egg) look good. :)

Anne said...

I bet your kids loved it- how fun! I think I need to try that cooking light recipe, I've heard it's great. Awesome job Mare!

Maria said...

Love the green egg and ham sandwich. Awesome!

Hindy said...

What a great egg sandwich. You're a fun mom!

Flourchild said...

Now that is some green egg:)..very nice biscuits! Im glad your family enjoyed them.

Pamela said...

We do green eggs and ham around here too every once in a while. How can you not with kids around? :o) Is there a particular CL biscuit recipe you use??

Unknown said...

Love the green eggs and ham Mary Ann! I bet your kids were huge fans :) I didn't have much luck with these biscuits either. They didn't rise much and weren't very fluffy. I'll have to give the CL ones a shot!

Soy*Baby said...

Adorable green eggs and ham biscuits. What kid wouldn't love that. Your biscuits look great.

Cathy said...

You are such a fun mom Mary Ann - you totally inspire me! I cannot wait to try green eggs and ham for my kids! I know that Jacob won't eat them (he won't even eat regular eggs), but he'll get a big kick out of them, and the girls will love them. Glad your son enjoyed the biscuits too! These were popular with my kids. Yours look great!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I love the green. Anyone can have yellow eggs but green ones, not a chance. Your kids are fortunate to have such a fun mommy.

Linda said...

You don't need to be a kid to love your green eggs and ham... I love it!

I haven't had great success with biscuit making, so will definitely have to check out the CL recipe...thanks for sharing.

TeaLady said...

OH!!! I love the green eggs!! How neat for the kiddos.

My biscuits didn't rise much. Was a little disappointed, but they tasted wonderful.