Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eggplant Parmesan

When I bought a couple of eggplants a few weeks ago, it wasn't because I had anything specific in mind that I wanted to make with them. It was because they were for a great price and I had no doubt at all that I would use them.

I was flipping through Cooking Light and saw that one of the best recipes from that particular issue was for Eggplant Parmesan. I didn't follow the recipe completely, as they had it turned into a casserole of sorts-I just used their coating and baking instructions.
I decided to top our eggplant with provolone cheese, served it over red quinoa and used some bottled marinara sauce to bring it all together.

My oldest son was a little bit wary of this dish, but I told him it would taste just like chicken. He tried it and concluded on his own that it did taste like chicken!

We really enjoyed this lightened version of a classic dish. It was good!
Recipe for Eggplant Parmesan
* I only followed the recipe for steps 1 & 2
* I added some Italian seasoning to my panko coating
* I topped each slice of eggplant parmesan with 1/2 slice of provolone cheese and then put it back in the oven until the cheese was melted

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! My mom loves eggplant parmesan! I'll have to make it for her when they come to visit in November!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) said...

This looks fantastic! I love how you served it with quinoa =)

Christina said...

Loving the lightened version!

Unknown said...

No guilt in this dish, yum

Jamie said...

I was searching for a pumpkin donut recipe and came across your blog. It all looks so pretty. I have a food blog, but I am really bad at the photograph part. Stop by and see me sometime.

Eliana said...

What an awesome dish. And this lightened up version of eggplant parm looks so delicious.